PASCHALIS DOUGALIS Wednesday 9 December 7pm GMT
Studies in the beauty of birds
Paschalis was born in 1970, in Kozani, Greece. When he was four, he showed an artistic ability for the first time by sketching a rooster. In the following years he made numerous studies of domestic animals and human portraits.
He grew up in the countryside and had many opportunities to observe and study nature at close quarters. During his studies in theology at the University of Thessaloniki, Paschalis began work as an icon painter. During this time he put great deal of energy into trying to find a path of his own. In 1992 his “discovery” of an English bird guide was a revelation, and has influenced his life ever since. From that moment on, nature’s creatures, and birds in particular, dominated his artwork.
In 1995, he illustrated a series of books about endangered animal species in Greece, got published in many publications, and established himself as an illustrator. In 1997 he moved to Munich where he still works and resides. In his work he aims not just to portray an average sample of a species, but the individual character of the bird or animal.
Besides to his illustration work he teaches workshops in Munich Zoo (Hellabrunn).
- Endangered Animals in Greece (6 Books, Akritas Editions, Athens 1996, 2000).
- Bearded Vulture –Life Project (University of Crete, 1998-2006, Illustrator of many Publications, Posters, Info material).
- Was fliegt denn da? (Kosmos Verlag, Stuttgart 2006, European Bird Guide).
- Eleonora`s Falcon -ruling the Aegean skies (HOS, Athens 2008, Monograph).
- European tree guide, (Kosmos Verlag, Stuttgart 2011).
- Der Baumfalke(Falco subbuteo) in Kärnten, Klagenfurt/Austria 2013.
- German breeding Bird Atlas 2014.
- Die Zwergohreule (Otus scops) in Österreich, Klagenfurt/Austria 2015.
- Naturzeit-Book Series: 6 Books (Kosmos Verlag, Stuttgart 2018-2019).
- Bird Illustrator of the Year, twice the runner up (British Birds, 2001, 2002).
- Silberner Uhu 2003, (Halberstadt, German Award for Bird artists).
- 2016 Langford Press Field sketches Award.
- “Wild in de Natuur”, Enschede, t’Kunsthuis van het Oosten (2003, 2005, 2006, 2008).
- Silberner Uhu, German award for Bird artists,(2003-2019).
- Festival Art et Nature FORÊTS -Bretagne/France guest of honour, Sept. 2020.
- ANF (Artists for Nature foundation)-Hula Valley Project in Israel, March 2009.
- ANF-Lad/Hedrehely, Hungary May 2019.
Listen to this awarded artist talk about his processes